the problem is they both have valid points.  in this,as in nearly all aspects
of unix administration, there is not a single right answer.

-----Original Message-----
    From: "Patrick Börjesson"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Sent: 2/17/06 4:15:08 PM
    To: "gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org"<gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
    Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How many GB for / partition?

    First, I can't really understand why either one of you two won't fully
    explain your reasonings when going against the other. It helps noone.

    On 2006-02-17 19:04, Hemmann, Volker Armin uttered these thoughts:
    > On Friday 17 February 2006 07:33, Alexander Skwar wrote:
    > > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

    Of course, if you have a system with _no_ services running (including
    apache, sshd and so on), or a firewall that blocks every and all
    incoming connection attempt, then for someone to access /tmp without
    having physical access to the system (in which case you're pretty much
    screwed anyhow) is, as far as I know, impossible.=20

    This doesn't take into account client-side exploits; because with these
    the exploiting code has access to whatever resources the user running
    the client has, including writing to whatever areas that the user has.=20

    > > > so? how?
    > >
    > > Think, you might find out. What does noexec do, hm?
    > >
    > > Even *you* might find out...
    > >
    > > Well... If I think about it... No, you're too clueless
    > > to find out.
    > >
    > > Hint 1: "noexec" nowadays makes it impossible to execute
    > > programs stored on that filesystem.
    >=20
    > I know, but it won't save you from anything.
    > After a user got in, he is a user. And every user has a place with write=
    =20
    > permission (if he is user apache/httpd he has lots of places, where he ca=
    n=20
    > store code).  Outside of /tmp.

    Where?

[Message truncated. Tap Edit->Mark for Download to get remaining portion.]