Hey group,

My trusty old computer died tonight :( I am stuck with my winders laptop for a few days until I can get in a new mobo and processor. I am looking at getting something like an AMD 64 or a Pentium D dual core. I can get one of the two models below for a really good price on newegg.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 800MHz HT Socket 754
or
Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual Core,EM64T Processor

Both of these are in the <$150 price range for processors that I want to stay at, though I will go up to about $200 for a proc. I have always used AMD at home though never had an AMD 64 yet. If I go Intel then I would want it to have either HT or dual core.

If anyone has a good suggestion for a proc < $200, please let me know.

The next item is a mobo to go with the proc. For the mobo I really want SATA, PCI express, onboard audio and lan. I don't want onboard video, I will get a newer Nvida card to handle video. All the onboard stuff must work under Gentoo, I won't have MS on the new box.

I am not sure if I should go intel or amd64. I am not looking for an amd vs intel flame war, just suggestions based on personal experience.

This box will be my main home computer running Gentoo. I am a programmer so I want a system that will be fast for compiling, some Linux games from time to time, uh... compiling Gentoo : ), watching videos/dvd's and maybe 1-2 times a year I will encode a video.

Thanks for any tip,

Jim