On Monday 13 March 2006 02:12, Ash Varma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Mobo/proc combination':
> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 01:51 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Monday 13 March 2006 00:59, "JimD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote
> >
> > about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Mobo/proc combination':
> > >
> > > By HT do you mean AMD 64 Hyper-Transport or Pentium Hyper-Threading?
> >
> > Hyper-Transport = the shit [1]
> > Hyper-Threading = just shit [2]
>
> OK.. I'll bite..
> Why ??

Hyper-Transport is a way for CPUs to exchange data directly rather than
going through a memory controller, thus allowing limited resources (L1/2/3
cache) to be used more effectively.  In particular, process migration
causes fewer cache misses.

Hyper-Threading is a way for a CPU to pretend to be two, thus causing the
system to request/require more resources than are available.

Hyper-Transport attempts to alleviate a bottleneck, while Hyper-Threading
increases the load on an existing one.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest