On Wednesday 15 March 2006 14:04, Joseph wrote:
> > > If I use:
> > > dd if=/dev/dvd of=backup.iso
> >
> > First of all, I would add the "bs" option to increase the buffer and
therefore
> > speed. Something like:
> > dd bs=100000 if=/dev/dvd of=backup.iso
>
> No, this command didn't work either, I got about 700Mb and it quit,
> though the light in the drive was flashing nothing was copied to ISO
> file.
>

> > > I only get about 2Gb file and it stops or freezes, the disk is bout
> > > 4.3Gb
> >
> > That would indicate read errors. Is the dvd scratched or dirty? Wash it
with
> > lukewarm water and dishwasher liquid and try again.
>
> DVD is brand new, no scratches.

You said earlier that the disk was unencrypted.  Is it a disk that you made,
or a disk that you purchased?  I ask because I heard a while back that some
DVD manufacturers would create their disks with intensionally bad sectors as
a kind of copy protection.  You could be running into a problem with that, if
it's a manufactured disk rather than a burned disk.

--
Eric Bliss
systems design and integration,