Terry Eck wrote:
> I've been a SuSE user for several years now currently running 10.0.
> I'm interested in giving gentoo a try with the object of converting
> from SuSE to gentoo. I've been looking at this list for a couple of
> weeks and have determined that there may be a steep learning curve
> on my part converting. Any words of advice on getting up to speed
> using gentoo before I install it.
>
> Thanks for any advice you might be able to give me.
>
> Terry Eck

Just one word: PRAY!

..I'm joking ;-)

I would say you should be filled with patience - compiling the packets
on your machine takes a lot of time and may be it is annoying for one
who is used to just get the binaries and decompress them. The initial
installation is the hardest part in this respect because it takes a long
time  before the GUI is ready. After this point compiling is not an
issue - you may do whatever you please while emerge does its job.

Everything else is just like on every modern distro. Most of the time it
is OK but there are also problems now and then. The first time I tried
Gentoo and didn't burn my bridges to turn back: I left my Slackware
alone and installed Gentoo on a different HDD. A few months later the
Slackware was gone. Now I won't change Gentoo for any other distro. Go
forward and give a try!

--
Best regards,
Daniel