Some may disagree, but personally I'd much rather use a dedicated IRC
client for IRC. I tend to use irssi although XChat is perhaps
"friendlier". The latter would make it easy to see at a glance which
channel(s) there was activity in.

David

Note: These views are my own, advice is provided with no guarantee of
success. I do not represent anyone else in any emails I send to this
list.