On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, b.n. wrote:

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ha scritto:
 Firstly, ignore those that want you to buy another piece of hardware to do
 something your computer is perfectly capable of doing.  It's an
 unnecessary expense, and while initial configuration *might* be easier
 you'll pay later because that "simple" interface doesn't expose enough to
 allow you to effectively troubleshoot.

Good point. I agree and I'm sorry. I explain why I immediately adviced for
Don't be sorry!
buying a router: here in Italy most commercial ADSL providers rent you an USB modem (not an Ethernet one). Some USB ADSL modems are somehow supported on linux, but drivers are famous to be poorly documented, unreliable and to make them work is often a real pain in the neck.
Here they sell you a router (with ethernet and USB interface, at least
the provider I have in mind), so it seems a good solution.

However I'd still advice for a small ADSL router if he wants to connect more than one box. Of course he can build a Gentoo router himself buying a very old machine and a bunch of ethernet cards on eBay :)

Using a dedicated computer as router is not a good idea in Portugal,
because power is expensive. I suppose that a router/modem is much less
energy consuming, so buying one is probably a good strategy.

Thanks.
--
Jorge Almeida