On Wednesday 10 January 2007 16:15, Jorge Almeida
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] moving to ADSL':
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > Firstly, ignore those that want you to buy another piece of hardware
> > to do something your computer is perfectly capable of doing.  It's an
> > unnecessary expense, and while initial configuration *might* be easier
> > you'll pay later because that "simple" interface doesn't expose enough
> > to allow you to effectively troubleshoot.
>
> I've been browsing the provider's page, and it happens that you have to
> buy a connection kit (not very expensive) as part of the contract. It
> includes a modem+router (Huawei ADSL 2+), so the choice is whether to
> use it or to buy something better...

Well, I knew you'd need a ADSL modem.  Some of these (IIRC ours even) can
be configured to handle all the pppoe-ness and simply provide an ethernet
connection.  Depending on your service plan, you'll then simply run a DHCP
client or statically configure your IP.

This proved to be flaky on our model of modem, with the pppoe packages for
linux more gracefully handling things.

> The other point is important, of course. So, if I understood correctly,
> the "router" is really a box containing a modem to deal with
> analogic/digital conversions and a router to allow connection to one or
> several computers. Right?

I've seen the word "router" abused so much, it doesn't have a lot of
meaning.  It seems to be any piece of dedicated network hardware that
understands any wire protocol above the physical and link layers.  This
includes everything from smart siwtches with L3/4/7 filtering and/or QoS
to an ADSL modem that supports "bridge" mode.

(I think ADSL providers don't want to use the word modem cause it makes
consumers think "slow".)

> And the interface via web is always OS-agnostic? Or should I worry that
> I buy a linux-unfriendly device?

Most web interfaces are browser-agnostic.  Occasionally you will see a
firmware update page that only works in IE, but FF should be capable of
handling most of the trouble interfaces.

> > That said, we are using ADSL for part of our connection here and I
> > believe we are having a Gentoo machine handle to pppoe connection.
> > I'll see if I can't get your an actual configuration (minus passwords,
> > of course) and send it to you privately so you have a concrete,
> > working example of pppoe in Gentoo.
> OK, that would be usefull, whether I use a router or not.

The pppoe software is on a box that only my roommate has shell access to.
I'll talk to him when he gets home and see if he'll dump those configs for
you.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest