On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

Well, I knew you'd need a ADSL modem.  Some of these (IIRC ours even) can
be configured to handle all the pppoe-ness and simply provide an ethernet
connection.  Depending on your service plan, you'll then simply run a DHCP
client or statically configure your IP.
So, the computer must have the IP (static or dynamic) assigned by the
provider? Or the ethernet interface in the router has that IP and the
computer a private one?
And how about firewalling? I currently use Shorewall (with cable modem).
Would the configuration be the same? (What I mean is: for the computer
connected to a ADSL router, what is the "outside world"? The same that
the router "sees"? Or is firewalling meaningful only at the router level
and not at the computer level?)

This proved to be flaky on our model of modem, with the pppoe packages for
linux more gracefully handling things.

That's something that's worth thinking about. Rather than upgrading a
linux system, one is stuck with whatever comes in the box. And what is
the OS inside? Some embedded linux, or something fishy?
(And is this a reason to worry?)

OK, that would be usefull, whether I use a router or not.

The pppoe software is on a box that only my roommate has shell access to.
I'll talk to him when he gets home and see if he'll dump those configs for
you.

Thanks.

--
Jorge Almeida