On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 12:11 +0100, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

> the way i have applied my rules is as follows
>
> first i load them with my generated script
> then i invoke /etc/init.d/iptables save
> and to be sure i do an /etc/init.d/iptables restart
> iptables -L, iptables -L -t nat, iptables -L -t mangle show me my new rules
> when i look in /var/lib/iptables/rules-save i also see my new rules
> when i issue /etc/init.d/net.eth1 restart iptables -L, iptables -L -t
> nat, iptables -L -t mangle show me the old rules from shorewall

hmm, shorewall must have done something that's more persistent.

Have a look at /etc/runlevels, and make sure there is no shorewall stuff
left in there.

Also look in /etc/conf.d/net* and make sure there is no postup functions
lying around.

And make sure /etc/init.d/net.eth1 is a symlink to /etc/init.d/net.lo,
and then make sure net.lo hasn't been "modified" by shorewall.  you
could do a `emerge --noconfmem baselayout` to make extra sure.  **Read
the man page first.

Is there a /etc/shorewall directory?  Perhaps someone who has it
installed could do `equery files shorewall` so you could check that it
really is deleted.

Well, these idea's are really stabbing in the dark, but you gotta start
somewhere!

HTH,

Workers of the world, arise!  You have nothing to lose but your chairs.