On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 18:40 +0200, Vlad Dogaru wrote:

Hossa.

> I had no idea about these settings in make.conf or about eclean. I
> apologise for not having read the proverbial manual thoroughly enough.
> One question though: is there a reason why PORTAGE_TMPDIR does not
> default to /tmp?

Sometimes an ebuild needs to run scripts from the package's tarball for
installation or something like that. Many people have an extra partition
for /tmp that is mounted noexec to give people less opportunity to mess
around with the system (for example build weird binaries for local root
exploits).

Apart from that it's often useful to have all ebuild-related stuff in
one place (/tmp/ is often messy as hell so having a "special tmp" for
building sounds like a good idea, especially if things go wrong and you
need to check why).

Jürgen Geuter
--
ICQ #81510866 - http://the-gay-bar.com - MSN [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"