On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:12:22 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I don't trust my memory either so I looked it up. The most recent copy
> of FHS I have is 2.2:
>
> "The /tmp directory must be made available for programs that require
> temporary files.
> "Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp are
> preserved between invocations of the program."
>
> It says nothing about reboots, that is a common mis-interpretation of
> the standard.

But

> Why not just keep it as /var/tmp? Defined as:
>
> "The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require
> temporary files or directories that are preserved between system
> reboots. Therefore, data stored in /var/tmp is more persistent than
> data in /tmp.

So it does say that /tmp can't be relied upon to survive reboots, but
not in the definition of /tmp :(

AIUI FHS is for binary distros, so doesn't apply to Gentoo anyway.

> Portage shouldn't even begin to start thinking about belonging
> in /usr :-). That's why I have:
>
> nazgul ~ # cat /etc/make.conf | grep PORTDIR
> PORTDIR="/var/portage"

Or mount /usr/portage on its own filesystem. I have it mounted on a
sparse file as per
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speeding_up_portage#MultiPurpose_Trick

--
Neil Bothwick

"A hundred years of forgetting and it all comes rushing back..."