On Tuesday 30 January 2007 11:29, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > "The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require
> > temporary files or directories that are preserved between system
> > reboots. Therefore, data stored in /var/tmp is more persistent than
> > data in /tmp.
>
> So it does say that /tmp can't be relied upon to survive reboots, but
> not in the definition of /tmp :(

Yes :-)

There's nothing to stop you leaving /tmp/* around for 100 days, you just
shouldn't rely on them every being there

> AIUI FHS is for binary distros, so doesn't apply to Gentoo anyway.

Huh? Where does that come from? I think you have FHS confused with LSB.

FHS describes the standard layout of what kind of stuff goes where, with
rationales. It's there so the eg finding shared libs becomes easy
instead of the nightmare it was in years gone by, and binary distros do
benefit most. But by no stretch of the imagination should you ever
think that means that it "doesn't apply to Gentoo".

FHS is a standard, and we have these things for a reason - to be used.
There are always edge cases but these are a small price to pay for the
consistency that standards give

alan