I think you confused my message.  When I said "I've always been told..."
I didn't mean I was told it was part of the standard, I mean it is
common knowledge, common sense, rule-of-thumb, best practice --
whatever. Yes there is FHS but I don't consider it the Bible.  most
distros break FHS in some way anyhow... I mean let's get a little
realistic here.  We're talking about temporary files, not /etc/passwd...

My main point was not to point out theory (FHS) but practice.  Over two
years of use shows that it is perfectly fine to run portage in /tmp
(with tmp on tmpfs) and, if you take a second to think about it, it does
make sense that that would be a viable alternative.  You mentioned
exceptions like OpenOffice and I suggested a workaround.  As always
YMMV.