Michael Sullivan wrote:
I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.19-gentoo-r6 this morning.  I used
genkernel.  I followed these steps:

Deleted the /usr/src/linux symlink and recreated it point
to /usr/src/2.6.19-gentoo-r5
zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-config-2.6
genkernel all

After it successfully built, I opened up my /boot/grub/grub.conf file in
vim and copied the entry lines for the old kernel I was using
(2.6.18-gentoo-r6 - also created with genkernel) and changed the numbers
to reflect the new kernel on the title, kernel, and initrd lines.
However when I attempt to boot up with the new kernel, it goes through
its usual device checks, and then right when it should say "Booting
initramfs-{xxxx}", it says "/dev/sda6 is not a suitable root
device." (or something like that) and offers me either a chance to enter
the root device, or a shell.  I asked for the shell.  I did ls and saw a
directory structure seemingly similar to my / on my root partition, but
when I did ls /dev I didn't see any sda devices (or an other s* devices
for that matter).  What's gone wrong, and what do I do to fix it?  Below
is my /boot/grub/grub.conf:

I ran into a similar problem when upgrading. It looked to me like the SATA device configuration variables had been changed or renamed. This caused me to lose all my SATA modules when I rebuilt. After I went in and explicitly added the new SATA drivers into the config the machine could boot again.

Hope that helps.

- Ben