On Wednesday 21 February 2007, "Hemmann, Volker Armin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user]
ramfs - is it necessary ???':
> On Mittwoch, 21. Februar 2007, pat wrote:
> > My question is if this is realy necessary and if
> > not, what I have to do. And if it is necessary where I can find good
> > documentation (samples, explanation, etc.).
>
> you don't need initrd. You don't need initramfs. You don't need to use
> genkernel (IMHO genkernel is evil). And you don't need ramfs.

That's my experience with genkernel as well.

> initrd/initramfs is mostly for distributions who want to compile
> everything as module, people with strange settings (like some kind of
> raid), or people too stupid to build their own kernel. If you build your
> kernel and build everything you need to boot into it, you can live
> without that crap.

I need it because my '/' in on an LVM device which does require some
userland tools to setup.  initrd/ramfs really isn't "crap", but they are
generally unnecessary (unless you have '/' on EVMS/LVM/software-RAID) on
Gentoo.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))