On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 00:30:23 -0600
Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> > Dale wrote:
> >
> >> If you can, check to see if udev was upgraded and there was a
> >> notice that there are group changes.  I would think udev would be
> >> what was changed.   I'm curious to see your reply though.
> >
> > Ok - here is the state after the emerge (recall group *was* tty):
> >
> > $ ls -l /dev/ttyS*
> > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar  4 15:53 /dev/ttyS0
> > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar  4 15:53 /dev/ttyS1
> > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar  4 15:53 /dev/ttyS2
> > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar  4 15:53 /dev/ttyS3
> >
> > and /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules has been updated in the emerge
> > to make this ownership change:
> >
> > $ grep ttyS 50-udev.rules
> > KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*",   NAME="%k", SYMLINK="tts/%n", GROUP="uucp",
> > MODE="0660"
> >
> > I didn't see any notice, it just gets processed when doing
> > etc-update. Probably worth eyeballing any changes to 50-udev.rules!
> >

> > So looks like you need to be in the uucp group to dial-up now.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Mark
>
> Hmmm, I wonder why that was changed?  I did a google search for uucp
> and group and it was interesting.  It seems this is the norm now.
> When I added fax to the search, it seems that will solve my problem
> of having to fax something as root instead of a user.  ;-)  Learn
> something every day.  I just wonder about my UPS and how it is going
> to like this change.  Add nut to the group to I guess.
>
> Well, now we know huh?
>
> Thanks for the help.  I better watch the rules update next time.
>
> Dale

FWIW, it was kind of a PITA to set up dialup in a secure way for
multiple users to use with traditional UNIX permissioning.  The
reorganization of groups, if it deals with that ugliness (visit
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_a_Dialup_Connection#Winmodems_with_Lucent_Apollo_.28ISA.29_and_Mars_.28PCI.29_chipsets
to see for yourself what I mean) I say, it's worth a bit of
reorganization of users.