Hemmann, Volker Armin ha scritto:
On Sonntag, 1. April 2007, b.n. wrote:
Hemmann, Volker Armin ha scritto:
In almost every kernel release a security problem is found, that is fixed
in a stable release.
Stable release? AFAIK, *all* 2.6.x releases are stable releases.

No, they aren't. There are the 'normal' releases (for example 2.6.20) and the 'stable' releases which fix important bugs and security holes (like, for example 2.6.20.2).

Yes, I know that. I didn't call them "unstable" and "stable", that's why I was confused, however I know.
Now my questions are:
1)I only see gentoo-sources-2.6.X-rY, I never see gentoo-sources-2.6.X.a.b-rY .What am I installing when I install gentoo-sources-2.6.x-rY?

2)How do the binary distribution people cope with this?

The days of double trees (2.4.x and 2.5.x) are gone.

Today we have at least 4 trees.
Linus.
Morton.
The 'stable releases' (2.6.XY.Z)
Bunk's 2.6.16.XY

Well, there have ALWAYS been a lot of different trees, but Morton, for example, AFAIK is not an "official" tree (although it is maintained closely to the official).

However that's just nitpicking. :)

Which risk? Which mess? There is not a risk, if you use oldconfig.
oldconfig doesn't always work well between major releases (2.6.x vs
2.6.x+1).

I works like a charm for me....

Not for me. And I've sometimes read of newer kernels breaking things on the gentoo mailing list. Upgrading a kernel is never straightforward, imho (maybe it's me being unexperienced, however it's my years-old only desktop box and I hate to b0rk it).

m.