Hi,

On Wed, 02 May 2007 08:14:03 -0400 Colleen Beamer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > What does "the font doesn't resize" mean exactly and how's that
> > looking errorneous to you?
>
> It's not that it's erroneous. I'm just being a bit anal.  In all my
> other Gentoo installations, when the computer boots up, the font
> starts out large, then there is a sort of blip and the penguin
> graphic appears and the font becomes smaller.  I'm not a programmer,
> but was told this had something to do with the framebuffer.  This
> large font is driving me nuts because any command issued at the
> command line, for instance lspci results in half the information
> scrolling off screen unless you use a pipe.  I know that isn't all
> that big a deal, but it's not what I'm used to.

Hm, OK, I see. Does your kernel's command line contain a valid
"video=..." setting? Are you sure you're handing it a recognized mode
string? (I.e. when there's something like "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" or so, the
values aren't freely configurable but must match a valid video mode for
the framebuffer driver in question -- most of them use those from the
"modedb"). Also, you'll need not just framebuffer, but framebuffer
console support, too.

The vesa(-tng) driver is loaded early in the kernel's boot process.
Maybe you find some mention of an error in your kernel log ring buffer
(dmesg)?

-hwh