Hi all,

First, I have to thank you *all* for your patience with me.  I'm not a
developer and my formal computer training is limited.  However, I'm not
stupid (I know no one has implied that), but I get a little frustrated
when I've done something successfully a half dozen times and now it
doesn't work.  The difference with this Gentoo install is the nvidia
card.  I've always used ATI cards and after this experience, I think I
still prefer them. Anyway, ....

Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 08:50 -0400, Colleen Beamer wrote:
>> Iain Buchanan wrote:

>>> are you able to post your kernel .config file somewhere?  Perhaps
>>> there's a problem there...
>> I'll try, but it won't be until tonight.
>
> pastebin is good for this kind of thing (pastebin.com).  Just let us
> know the number!

I think I *may* have solved my problem. I had nvidia (NV2) support built
into the kernel.  I rebuilt the kernel without nvidia support, removed
xorg-x11 and removed nvidia-drivers.  Then I did emerge --update --deep
nvidia-drivers.  A bunch of stuff was updated because of newer versions
being available, but a number of things were installed - like kbd and
mouse.  I don't know maybe having nvidia support built into the kernel
was preventing the xorg drivers for mouse and keyboard being installed.

I *did* read the nvidia guide, but I must have misunderstood because I
thougt that only older nv drivers were incompatible with newer cards.

Anyway, now I'm emerging KDE.  Will let you know officially how it goes.

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org