Sorry,my English is poor:-)
I have a ATI with 9250 ,so I have to add ">x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.29.1"
to  /etc/portage/package.mask,ati-driver-8.28.8-r1 (not ati-driver-8.28.8)
and the kernel with 2.6.19 is well,but the 2.6.20 cant.
xorg 7.2 isnt support R200 (inclue 9200 9250)seriers.Dont update to 7.2 from
7.1.
Of course you can choose open source driver,it could be supported.
My English is very very Poor:-(sorry

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-554065-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-atidrivers.htmland

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-554736.html?sid=eeac31c8c7d77b4d130703a372462537

> that persons have a problem very similary to yours.
>
> Well about your question I think, check your kernel configuration
> Graphics
> Drivers, you have to unmark the ATI modules of the kernel. At last, I
had
> the same problem with 8.32.5 my laptop frezee and the only thing what
> can I
> do was reset using the Power bottom; and the solution was install the
> 8.36.5ati driver, believe me.
>
> I hope be helpfully to you, Have a nice day :D

Hi Francisco

Thanks for the help so far...but it still dos not play nicly....

According to 'lspci' my graphic card is:

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]
(rev 01)

and according to:

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon-prer200.html

I should then  be using version 8.28.8 of the driver.

I have tried coping both the 8.28.8 and the 8.36.5 to my dist folder and
tried to run emerge:

emerge -va ati-drivers

but it only suggests the 8.32.5 version, which as previously mentioned,
dos not work.

Am I missing to parameters to emerge or?

I have tried to compiled ati support directly in to my kernel... this
did not work
I have tried to compile ati support as modules for my kernel... this did
not work
I have tried to add framebuffer support in the kernel with support for
ati.... this allows me to start x but everything is running real slow
and I experience clipping when I move around windows.

Any pointers?

Joe