On 7/18/07, Александър Л. Димитров <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 23:51 Tue 17 Jul, Thufir wrote:
>  Oh.  Why was the grub documentation not understandable like that?
>  maybe I misread it.  thanks for explaining!

I guess you missed it. `info grub' says (*Note chainloading)

---8<---8<----

4.1.2 Load another boot loader to boot unsupported operating systems

If you want to boot an unsupported operating system
[...]

I was going by:

"13.3.4 chainloader
— Command: chainloader [--force] file

   Load file as a chain-loader. Like any other file loaded by the
filesystem code, it can use the blocklist notation to grab the first
sector of the current partition with `+1'. If you specify the option
--force, then load file forcibly, whether it has a correct signature
or not. This is required when you want to load a defective boot
loader, such as SCO UnixWare 7.1 (see SCO UnixWare). "
<http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#chainloader>

which is far less informative from my POV than the info message you
quoted.  I did refer to the manual, just the wrong one, apparently :)

-Thufir