Happy new year!

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 11:16 -0800, BRM wrote:
[snip]
> The system is set to boot off of /dev/hdb2 (ext2) and use /dev/hdb1 as
> the root. I believe the boot device is hd1,1 in grub terminology.

yep!

> The system has 3 hard drives: hda, hdb, and sda; as well as a dvd drive
> (hdc).
>
> /dev/hdb2 has the following structure:
>  - list of all my Slackware kernels
>  - gentoo/bzImage
>  - gentoo/bzImage_2-6-23-gentoo-r3
>  - grub/
>
> Below is my grub.conf (minus comment lines):

looks fine to me!

[snip]
> All seems well. It boots and presents the menu, but then can't find the
> kernel when I select "Gentoo Linux" or try to manually run the lines. I
> tried using "find" at the grub command prompt during the boot process,
> but it couldn't find it either. I haven't tried the Slackware kernel
> yet, as I am mostly concerned about the Gentoo kernel.

have you tried grubs completion?  if you type "kernel (hd1,1)/" and then
<tab> it should try and complete the line for you.  (from the grub
command prompt, once you've booted into the grub shell)  It could be
possible that your bios / grub have swapped the drive assignment around
during boot.  Try all your (hdx,y) combinations with grub completion
until you find one that has /gentoo on it.

> Note: I am using LVM2 under this Gentoo install - but not for /boot or
> /.

it shouldn't interfere with /boot or /

> What am I missing?

don't know, hope my hints can help.

Schapiro's Explanation:
        The grass is always greener on the other side -- but that's
        because they use more manure.