--- Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Happy new year!

Happy new year to you all to!

"Mick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Your system will look at the first device that the BIOS finds for a
> bootloader.  That 'should' be /dev/hda, but it could well be /dev/sda
> (check device map and also use Grub's tab completion to see what the
> BIOS/Grub sees first).

Thanks. I had tried tab-completion while at the grub command-line from
the CD during install, but it wasn't working. When Grub came up, it was
thinking hdb equalled hd0 instead of hd1. So while it worked fine with
hd1 from the CD (it didn't like hd0 then), it was mixed up when grub
actually ran.

Any suggestions on how to fix this so that grub runs well from within
Linux?

"Mick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Check your /boot/grub/device.map to make sure that devices correspond
> to the expected grub nomenclature.
Also - (per Mick's e-mail)

> > Note: I am using LVM2 under this Gentoo install - but not for /boot
> or
> > /.
> it shouldn't interfere with /boot or /

That's what I thought, I just figured I mention it just in case.

> > What am I missing?
> don't know, hope my hints can help.

Thanks, it sure did. :->

Ben