--- Peter Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 January 2008 16:00:51 BRM wrote:
> > I got it working by setting up grub.conf to focus on hd0, while at
> the
> > grub prompt I referred to it as hd1. That is, imho, just weird, and
> > another reason why LILO wins out in my book as LILO matches Linux's
> device
> > names pretty well.
> I suggest that you create /boot/grub/device.map with the bootable
> devices
> listed in the order in which the BIOS presents them to grub at boot
> time*.
> This will cause the run-time grub to use them in the same order as
> the
> boot-time grub. The grub manual tells you how to create and use this
> file.

Thanks. Oddly, grub detects hda and fd0 as boot devices - there is no
floppy and hda does not have a partition marked for boot. Any how...at
least hd0 points to hdb now.

> * This is an advantage of grub's naming convention. If you interrupt
> the
> boot sequence and use grub to show the partitions on each drive in
> turn
> (hd0, hd1, ...), regardless of their interface types, you can
> thenceforward
> be confident of whether, say, hda or sda is presented first. If you
> had to
> specify each type separately, you still wouldn't know that.

>From one perspective yes. From other, more important povs, no. However,
this is not the place to go into that discussion. E-mail me off-line if
you want to discuss it. In either case...

Thanks for the helpful info with GRUB.

Ben