On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 06:33 +0100, Wael Nasreddine wrote:

> > > it's done, thanks, BTW what's your home partition FS? your choice is
> > > ext3 or reiserFS??
>

> > I use reiserfs3.6 without notail but that doesn't mean that it would be
> > a good choice for you. I'm on laptop and disk space efficiency is a big
> > topic for me so I use tail-packing wherever suitable. And yes, I am a
> > fan of ReiserFS-3.6. I think it's the best multipurpose FS. You can
> > easily adapt it for high performance or high disk space efficiency. If
> > its journaling would be as good as Ext3's data=journal I'd use it
> > everywhere except for small partitions (ext2) and big files (ext3 and
> > xfs).
>
> > > One last thing, since I'm on LVM resizing the partition is a must
> > > feature, in ext3 I use resize2fs which works quite nicely, is
> > > resize_reiserfs as reliable as resize2fs is??
>

> > Yes, it's just as good and the sky's the limit for resizing :)
> > Oh, by the way: If you choose to use XFS somewhere, keep in mind that
> > you can't shrink and XFS-FS. Neither online nor offline.
>
> > One last thing: It's a bit old but I think it's still interesting,
> > especially for XFS-users:
>
> > http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1479435
>
> Thank you for your detailed answer it helped a lot, I just finished
> resizing/migrating all partitions, Though I still have the Storage
> partition, which is for my Mp3z and is almost 70Gb, with ext3, I'll
> see later if I do migrate to ReiserFS or not but the rest is done,
> please take a look at the file attached... and if you have any more
> suggestions please do tell me.

You could use the noatime mount option on all your partitions. With
atimes enabled, every time you read a file, its (mostly useless) access
time is updated which results in a write action. The only program that I
know to use atimes is mutt (for mail spools only).

You could also take a look at the link I've posted in my last message.
It contains useful mount options for XFS.