This One Time, at Band Camp, Florian Philipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said, On Sat,
Feb 16, 2008 at 01:50:04AM +0100:

> On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 00:32 +0100, Wael Nasreddine wrote:

> > > To your filesystem scheme: Why do you use xfs for usr? AFAIK XFS is good
> > > at write speed but not worth the trouble when reading data and data in
> > > usr is usually written once, updated every few months and read many
> > > times a week (on rebooting Desktop PCs maybe once a day). I'd use
> > > reiserfs3.6, maybe even without notail to make it more space efficient.
> > I don't use XFS, curently I only have / and /home and I want to split
> > it to more smaller partitions, I'm on LVM so it's easy, anyway I'm
> > going with ReiserFS for /usr /var, would you please suggest
> > mkfs.reiserfs options as I have nerver used ReiserFS-3 before (yep 5
> > years using linux and I've always used ext3...) also You didn't mention
> > /var, would you say ReiserFS-3 is a good choice as well?

> I don't think there's alot to do when creating a reiserfs. You could
> change the number of blocks for the journal. A bigger journal allows
> larger transactions which speed up write actions but might waste space.
> If you've got a second hard drive you could use an external journal but
> I've never done any benchmarking on that issue although I use it on my
> personal wannabe server (a raid1 and a single disk for the journal and
> unimportant data).

> I didn't comment on /var because I don't know how you use it. I suspect
> it to hold alot of temporal data like lock files, spools and so on. So
> there's a lot of creating and removing files going on, possibly in
> parallel. XFS is good in parallel and in creating files but terrible in
> removing files. Reiserfs with notail seems a good choice if you ask me
> (what you did ;) )

> > > I'd also use ext2 on /usr/portage. These data don't need journaling.
> > > Everything's got an MD5-sum to make sure it's unchanged after a crash
> > > and you can easily resync. I found ext2 with 2k blocks to be faster than
> > > reiserfs3.6, even on read-performance.
> > I've already made the partition as suggested in [1] I used this
> > command:
> > $ mke2fs -b 1024 -N 200000 -m 0 -O dir_index

> > I guess 1K block size would be faster??

> I'm not sure. 2K blocks might reduce fragmentation.

> If you look at the output of
> find /usr/portage/ -type f | xargs du -h --apparent-size
> you'll see that there are quiet a few files larger than 1K but most are
> smaller and might stay that small. So yes, I think 1K is a good choice
> but you won't loose much with 2K, maybe you even gain some speed.

> > > If I were you, I'd also use separate volumes for /tmp and /var/tmp
> > > (without ccache) with xfs.
> > What did you mean by 'without ccache'? I have ccache and I use it...

> I meant that you should keep ccache on a separate partition. I just
> think: Less stuff in the FS, less work on allocation and lookup, more
> speed. And there's a lot of stuff in 2GB ccache.

> By the way: I don't think /var/tmp is a good place for ccache (not
> [...]

Thank you for your detailed answer it helped a lot, I just finished
resizing/migrating all partitions, Though I still have the Storage
partition, which is for my Mp3z and is almost 70Gb, with ext3, I'll
see later if I do migrate to ReiserFS or not but the rest is done,
please take a look at the file attached... and if you have any more
suggestions please do tell me.

Thanks a lot guys....

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com

.: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
   would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.
# Fstab

/dev/system/gentoo-root         /                   ext3        defaults
         0   1
/dev/whd120.1                   /common-boot        ext2        defaults
         0   0
/dev/system/home                /home               reiserfs
defaults,user_xattr      0   0
/dev/system/gentoo-overlays     /home/overlays      ext2        defaults
         0   0
/dev/system/gentoo-usr          /usr                reiserfs    defaults
         0   0
/dev/system/gentoo-var          /var                reiserfs    defaults,notail
         0   0
/dev/system/tmp                 /tmp                xfs         defaults
         0   0
/dev/system/var-tmp             /var/tmp            xfs         defaults
         0   0
/dev/system/storage             /mnt/storage        ext3
defaults,user_xattr      0   0
/dev/system/swap                none                swap        sw
         0   0
/dev/cdrom                      /mnt/cdrom          iso9660     noauto,ro,user
         0   0

proc                            /proc               proc        defaults
         0   0
shm                             /dev/shm            tmpfs
nodev,nosuid,noexec      0   0

# Sizes: (120Gb Hdd)

/dev/system/gentoo-root             1G
/dev/system/gentoo-overlays         1G
/dev/system/gentoo-usr              4G
/dev/system/gentoo-var              500M
/dev/system/tmp                     500M
/dev/system/var-tmp                 100M

I use gentoo/paludis building on another partition... the gentoo-overlays
partition is
the one for /usr/portage but actually I use paludis and so I have all overlays
(gentoo and
whatever layman gets) in /home/overlays...