On Friday 09 May 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> A backup device is just a storage appliance, if should not be
> parochial about the origin of the data it stores.

Agreed. I have gentoo boxes out there that contain backups for
themselves, other gentoo machines, tens of various Windows machines and
even the odd Mac or two. Oh yeah, some Ubuntu servers too.

All backup clients write to different directories, based on their
hostname/IP address. No collisions.

One thing I won't do is backup a Linux machine to a Windows machine as I
can't easily extract file metadata that way. Windows to Linux is easy
as Windows is virtually unusable unless the average user does the
equivalent of this after a restore:

chmod -R 777 /path/to/restored/directory/

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com