On Sat, 10 May 2008 08:07:25 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:

> At least I wouldn't store everything in the same directory. It would
> of course be a good idea to seperate things.

<sigh> When did I ever mention using a single directory to mix up all
backups?

All I did was answer a question with an example of when different OSes
may need to share a backup medium and you decided to get all evangelical
about it. If you live and work in a heterogeneous environment, sometimes
you have to find heterogeneous solutions.

> > A backup device is just a storage appliance, if should not be
> > parochial about the origin of the data it stores.
>
> But because there are different requirements (features of the
> filesystems), what you're saying is not correct.

Read back to what I first said. Because of the different requirements
and features of filesystems, what /i first said is absolutely correct,
that backup methods that rely on the underlying filesystem have their
limitations.

> And why do you make such a fuss about such a natural thing? There's
> just no reason in sharing such a device/filesystem/"storage endpoint"
> between different operating systems.

Where did I state that a storage endpoint should be shared? Different
archive formats in different directories do not constitute a shared
endpoint.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 12: Plastic glasses