On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:00:11 -0400, Benoit St-Pierre wrote:

> I'm in the planning stages of setting up a file server and am
> considering using RAID.
>
> My concern is that my drive sizes are mixed. I have two 500GB SATA
> drives, a 320GB IDE and a 250GB IDE.
>
> I would like to set these up so that the maximum amount of disk space is
> usable, but still be able to recover from any one drive failing. I would
> also like to be able to add drives of any size as easily as possible.

Create one 500GB RAID1 array with the SATA drives, then create a 250GB
array using the IDE drives. Only 80GB lost, which you could partition out
and use separately if you really need to.

You want something you can easily recover from in the event of a disk
failure, so keep it simple.

--
Neil Bothwick

Loose bits sink chips.