On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Grant,
>>   I have no direct experience but I was asking some questions on this
>> list recently. One disadvantage of software RAD would be that
>> partition management tools like parted may not (or WILL not) do
>> resizing on a software RAID but will (or should!) on hardware RAID. If
>> you go with software RAID and later decide that a partition needs to
>> be moved, resized, etc., then you may not be able to do it.
>>
>>   I would suggest finding a good, if inexpensive, hardware RAID card
>> or possibly play a bit with the RAID stuff on your motherboard to see
>> if parted can work with it.
>
> What makes motherboard RAID such crap?  I don't think I'll ever want
> to resize partitions.  Mine are very simple root, boot, and swap and
> I've never wanted to change them.  Is it slow, unreliable?
>
> Here is my motherboard:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130056
>
> It is said to:
>
> SATA RAID 0/1/0+1/5
>
> - Grant

Grant,
   I never suggested motherboard RAID is crap. I attempted to say that
I have no experience with RAID systems. I've never used RAID at all
myself. I was only relating what I was told by others on the list when
I had a reason to ask about partition management on an existing RAID
device for a friend's computer.

- Mark