On Monday 15 December 2008 18:48:26 Grant wrote:
> > Grant,
> >   I have no direct experience but I was asking some questions on this
> > list recently. One disadvantage of software RAD would be that
> > partition management tools like parted may not (or WILL not) do
> > resizing on a software RAID but will (or should!) on hardware RAID. If
> > you go with software RAID and later decide that a partition needs to
> > be moved, resized, etc., then you may not be able to do it.
> >
> >   I would suggest finding a good, if inexpensive, hardware RAID card
> > or possibly play a bit with the RAID stuff on your motherboard to see
> > if parted can work with it.
>
> What makes motherboard RAID such crap?  I don't think I'll ever want
> to resize partitions.  Mine are very simple root, boot, and swap and
> I've never wanted to change them.  Is it slow, unreliable?

Motherboard RAID tends to be one of those things where corners are cut. It is
not true RAID either in low-end boards - it is two drives that are always
visible anyway and you use some crappy "driver" (that no-one can debug) to
form a *software* RAID, usually very limited in scope and usually very
limited in performance.

So, if you are going to end up using some vendor's crappy driver, you might as
well use a proper software RAID driver that comes with the kernel, that can
be debugged, that is a known quantity and that is proven to have excellent
performance. In-kernel software RAID also has an impressive array of working
features, and often out-performs even decent hardware RAID cards.

Which isn't to say that hardware RAID is a bad thing, there are some
spectacular cards out there. They do tend to be pricey though.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com