On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:43:19 +0000
Peter Humphrey <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 18 January 2009 00:25:49 »Q« wrote:
>
> > I also have a 1280x800 screen and uvesafb works for me without
> > distortion with this kernel video option in grub.conf:
> >
> >  video=uvesafb:1280x800-32,mtrr:3,ywrap
>
> Do you have that resolution available in your BIOS? I read somewhere
> that uvesafb can only use what it finds in the BIOS; in my case there
> is no such resolution. Maybe BIOS writers assume that nobody uses a
> text screen these days.

In the BIOS for my mainboard, there doesn't seem to be any mention of
resolutions.  But my video BIOS does support that resolution, at least
according to what shows up in /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes
and /sys/bus/platform/drivers/uvesafb/uvesafb.0/vbe_modes

And yeah, in the "Caveats and Limitations" section of
linux/Documentation/fb/uvesafb.txt , spock does make it clear that
uvesafb can only use modes supported by the video BIOS.  I don't think
I could live with that -- I'd go back to vesafb if it didn't WFM.

--
»Q«
     Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.