my style has always been to get the minimal installer. chroot, install kernel to my specs then boot to hard drive, then start building it to how i want it built.

the handbook is pretty specific and straight-forward. one just has to follow it. i've done N installs over the years and i still turn to the handbook, just to keep track.

anyway. if people find the installer difficult.... maybe gentoo isn't for them.