On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:25:07 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> > You'd expect to find a list of contents, chapters and an index
> > in a printed reference book, electronic documentation should
> > be no different.
>
> Perhaps, but I think info is an awful implementation.  A single
> large man page is much better, and a single large html page
> with links in it is far, far, better.

Info is far from a perfect solution (very far)and I generally use it in
Konqueror anyway, but the idea that any product, no matter how complex,
should be documented in a single, unindexed page is ridiculous.

Searching in a single page is fine, as long as the term you are looking
for is fairly unique, try searching for something like avi in the mplayer
man page and see how many times you need to press n before you find what
you want.

The Gentoo handbook is an excellent example of how documentation should
be arranged.

--
Neil Bothwick

Of all the people I've met you're certainly one of them