On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 18:47 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> A quick question:
>
> If i install Gentoo on a system with a kernel version 2.6.9 (don't ask
> ...), are there issues I should be aware of?
>
> Do I have to mask newer glibc-versions, newer kernel headers or some use
> flags? What about the nptl use flag?

The oldest supported (gentoo-sources) kernel in the portage tree is
2.6.16.  So there is the likelihood that anything that touches the
kernel or kernel headers (c library, device drivers, encryption
libraries, filesystems, device-mapper, udev/hotplug scripts) may have
compatibility issues.

OTOH if pull in a really old revision of the portage tree that has 2.6.9
and you never upgrade the tree then you should be fine ;-)

-a