On Thursday 26 March 2009 20:41:38 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Alan McKinnon schrieb:
> > On Thursday 26 March 2009 19:47:05 Florian Philipp wrote:
> >> Hi list!
> >>
> >> A quick question:
> >>
> >> If i install Gentoo on a system with a kernel version 2.6.9 (don't ask
> >> ...),
> >
> > Wow. That kernel is what 4? 5? years old
>
> Yep, I was surprised myself. It is a virtual machine (formerly SuSE).
> Therefore I have no influence on the kernel. I'm wondering whether I'm
> even safe when running such an antique system.

What kind of vm? Considering the vintage, I'd guess an early vmware

The 2.6.9 machine - is that the host or guest?

About a year ago a company I worked for was consulted to maintain a hospital
admin system running on SLES of about that era in a VM. We told them to
upgrade or find somebody else. They went off on their merry way to find
somebody else...

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com