On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:19:13 +0200
Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@arcor.de> wrote:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >
> > You mentioned elsewhere in the thread "web server"
> >
> > If that's the case, I'd be telling the hosting provider that 2004 called
> > and
> > they want their minutes back. Then I'd be looking for a different hosting
> > provider.
>
> If indeed they're running off 2004 software, I would be interested to
> know how many times people are defacing (or worse) sites hosted there :P

If the server itself is http-backend (with ssh forwarded, too), located
in dmz, what's the big deal?

You can have latest and fairly secure apache/lighttpd/nginx/whatever
out there, and, provided there are no holes in your scripts, the setup
should be fairly secure.
And that's probably most used line-of-defence on any web, since there's
nothing more important for webserver than scripts - if you have www, you
pretty much have it all.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net