Hung Dang wrote:
> I often use Ctrl+F1 to F6 to back to the command line and if your X is
> fine you can back the X screen using Ctrl+F7. Or if you want to kill
> your X then Ctrl+Alt+Backspace may be helpful.
>
> Hung
>

> Dale wrote:
>> I know the subject is a bit lacking but here goes.  I'm thinking about
>> trying this xorg-server upgrade again.  I been thinking about a way to
>> do this and not have to pull the plug on my rig if it fails, which I bet
>> it does.  This is the command I am thinking about trying.
>> /etc/init.d/xdm start && sleep 5m && /etc/init.d/xdm stop
>>
>> I'm thinking this way.  Start X first.  If it fails, it will stop in 5
>> minutes and come back to a console.  Think this will work?  If xorg
>> works, I can switch back to a console and ctrl C the command and
>> carry on.
>>
>> Thoughts?  Better ideas?
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)

That won't work because if xorg-server fails, my keyboard doesn't work
when I switch to X.  If the keyboard doesn't work, I can't switch back
to anything or type anything.

I done been through this one time.  I'm trying to figure out how to get
back to console with a keyboard that doesn't work at all.

Dale

:-)  :-)