On Wed, 27 May 2009 10:01:12 -0500
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I only have one machine right now.  Someone gave me a HP laptop but I
> haven't fixed it yet.  Power connector is shorted out big time.

Then for example on tty2 start "sleep 300 ; /etc/init.d/xdm stop ;
killall X" and on tty1 do "/etc/init.d/xdm start"

Another approach is to use acpid. I've read this tip here posted by
Volker Hemmann IIRC. If you use acpid, there should be a file called
"/etc/acpi/default.sh"

Modify it, substituting the lines:

19                 case "$action" in
20                         power)
21                                /sbin/init 0

with

19                 case "$action" in
20                         power)
21                                /usr/bin/chvt 1

then do /etc/init.d/acpid restart.

Now pressing the power button on your machine should switch to the
active TTY to tty1

--
Best regards,
Daniel