On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 19:13:19 -0600, Maxim Wexler wrote:

> >> mount: /dev/vg/tmp already mounted on /tmp
> >> mount: tmpfs already mounted on /tmp
> >
> > It's nothing to do with your problem, but why are you mounting two
> > filesystems on /tmp?
>
> fstab:
> shm  /dev/shm   tmpfs  nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
> tmpfs  /tmp   tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0 #suggested in a forum,
> seems harmless enough

It is, but you're also mounting /dev/fg/tmp on /tmp.

> > I still think there may be a delay in the kernel seeing the SD card,
> > this used to happen with my Eee. Have you tried adding a sleep
> > command to the relevant part of init.d/bootmisc?
>
> Not yet. What is the 'relevant' part? Is this the same thing as adding
> a delay to the kernel line in grub?

Actually, it's /etc/init.d/localmount, not bootmisc. Add a sleep command
just before No, you'de need to edit the bootmisc script and add a sleep
command just before

ebegin "Mounting local filesystems"

> > How large is the SSD in your Eee? Is it really necessary to have a
> > volume group spanning the SSD and SD card, two very different devices?
>
> Asus SSD, 4G  SD card 8G

Ah, I thought only the 701 had the small SSD.

> Necessary? Don't know but is meant to spare the SSD too much r/w strain.

How? By spanning an LVM across the two, you have no control over which is
written to the most. I'd put / on the SSD then mount write-heavy
directories, like /var and /home, on the SD card. I'd also set $PORTDIR
to /var/portage (/usr is a daft place to put the portage tree anyway).

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows to 486/50 mhz cpu: Don't rush me, don't rush me...