Hello, Walt:

I had "Browse removable media when inserted" checked.   Sure enough, when
unchecked, a nautilus window opens.  I also notice that two options are
checked.  I don't understand what the difference between them would be:

   Mount removeable drives when hot-plugged
and
   Mount removable media when inserted

Thank you for the advice.

Alan