On 10/02/2009 02:10 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:
Hello, Walt:

I had "Browse removable media when inserted" checked.   Sure enough,
when unchecked, a nautilus window opens.  I also notice that two options
are checked.  I don't understand what the difference between them would be:

    Mount removeable drives when hot-plugged
and
    Mount removable media when inserted

Thanks for asking -- you just solved two annoying problems for me :o)

An internal CD/DVD player is not a removable drive, but it does use
removable media.  A USB stick is a removable drive but does not use
removable media.

A number of gnome apps are far more configurable than their settings
menu implies.  To access some hidden settings you need to use the
gconf-editor utility, found in Applications::System tools::Configuration
Editor, or just type gconf-editor from a command prompt.

Navigate to apps::nautilus::preferences and look for several settings
relating to media, and experiment with those.