On Friday 08 January 2010 12:34:39 Stroller wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2010, at 08:23, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > The kde-sunset maintainer could even be you.
>
> I had my first patch accepted to an upstream project this week. It was
> only about 70 lines of Perl (and some of those were basically just
> refactoring what the author had already written into a different
> function, so that my new code could call it, too), but not only was it
> *extremely* gratifying to be "accepted upstream", it also showed me
> that the barrier to contributing to OSS is really very low.

Most people have never had code accepted upstream simply because they never
tried.

When they do try for the first time, they often have a positive experience,
like you did. There are exceptions of course, like the mainline kernel (those
dudes are strict) and nagios (that dude is an ass) but most maintainers are
grateful when users want to contribute

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com