On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Stroller
<strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> Would love to comment on this. Is it possible you could resend this post in
> plain text format?
> Stroller.

Here it goes.

>On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk>
>>wrote:

[snip]

>    in the GNU manual page [1]. I believe that GNU ddrescue is the better
> >version - it was inspired by garloff's original work, and makes
> improvements, >but it operates differently.

Comment. Another reason I moved away from dd (apart from the slow
running time) to ddrescue was because of this note related to LVM.

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/saw27/notes/backup-hard-disk-partitions.html
"Steve Holmes reports that dd with conv=sync,noerror doesn't correctly
image disks with LVM2 Logical Volumes. I haven't investigated this. He
also points out GNU ddrescue ( not the same as dd_rescue mentioned
above) which looks useful. According to Steve, ddrescue works finewith
LVM2, and some people seem to suggest it's generally superior to
dd_rescue."

The partition I would like to get data from is under LVM (previous post).

Thanks,

--
Valmor