Hi, Gentoo!

As reported in other threads, my new PC had a broken RAM stick in it.
As a result, an unknown proportion of installed binaries are flaky.  One
non-functioning binary is probably GCC.

What I'd like to do is reinstall every binary, yet without erasing any
configuration info, whose creation was so arduous.

Where does portage keep it's list of installed packages?  What do I have
to do to persuade portage it has _no_ installed packages before doing
'rm -rf *' in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin?

Has anybody any other tips to offer me for this operation?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).