The ETC paper is quite interesting -

"Harvard physicist and geoengineering advocate, David Keith,
describes geoengineering in the context of climate change as ‘a
countervailing measure, one that uses additional technology to counteract
unwanted side effects without eliminating their root cause, “a technical
fix”’ (Keith, 2010a: 494)"

I disagree with Dr Keith.
SRM addresses the side effects of climate change but CCS technologies do
address the root cause by removing carbon.

"Only the world’s richest countries can really muster the hardware and
software necessary to attempt rearranging the climate and resetting the
Earth’s thermostat."

The recent experiment by Old Masset village of the Haida nation does
disprove this. This is the first private geoengineering experiment and was
initiated by one village acting alone.

"What’s wrong with ocean fertilisation?
Phytoplankton are the foundation of the marine food chain. Iron may well
stimulate the growth of algae blooms but their potential to capture and
eliminate any significant amount of carbon is unproven.
The list of potential side effects is long:

» Changes in marine food webs: Artificial plankton production may lead to
changes in marine ecosystems at the base of the food chain, of particular
concern when ocean ecosystems are already fragile and under stress.

We have been regularly using a pond and lake fertilization technology for
many years, with excellent results.

» Reduced productivity in other areas: Iron-induced blooms may consume and
deplete other vital nutrients such that areas down current from the
fertilised area could suffer reduced plankton productivity and carbon
fixation.

The paper discusses the overall decline in phytoplankton in the oceans and
Iron fertilization is intended to be used only in HNLC areas of the oceans,
so only the 'excess' nutrients would be consumed.

» Some scientists have raised concerns that iron fertilisation could in
turn deplete oxygen levels at deeper levels of the ocean.

We have been fertilizing ponds and lakes to increase dissolved oxygen level.

» Artificially elevated nutrient levels could give rise to harmful
algal blooms that produce toxins associated with shellfish poisoning, fatal
to humans.

We have been fertilizing ponds and lakes to solve the problem of harmful
algal blooms.

» The production of dimethyl-sulphide (DMS), methane, nitrous oxide and
volatile methyl halides can alter weather patterns unpredictably, cause
ozone depletion and open a Pandora’s box of impacts on atmospheric
chemistry and global climate.

When oxygen level is increased methane and nitrous oxide emissions decline.

» Ocean acidifiation could be exacerbated.

When CO2 is consumed ocean acidification can only decline not be
exacerbated.

» Coral reefs can be dramatically afected by tiny increases in
nutrient levels, especially nitrogen, potentially provoking the growth
of toxic dinoflagellates.

Our fertilization solution will reduce dinoflagellates.

» Devastating impacts on the livelihoods of people who depend on healthy
marine systems, most notably fisher folk.

Fishermen are using our fertilization solution to protect their livelyhood.

regards

Bhaskar