Having seen my name dropped here I thought I might make a small comment. My
thoughts are that it would be strategically ill-advised for the
geoengineering community to denigrate Dr. Shiva or challenge her to debate.
I have read her writings extensively and agree with some of the comments
about weak on the science. She is a scientist only at the margins, but she
is a public policy advocate of the greatest talent and acuity. Because I
admire her I have attempted to better inform her about soil and carbon
cycles. Given time I feel she may warm up to recalcitrant carbon and
afforestation strategies, although she will never admit to favoring
geoengineering, for the reasons she gives in the interview.

I agree with Ron that it is unfortunate that biochar, remineralization and
reforestation/afforestation have been associated with geoengineering. These
are natural processes that have been going on since the dawn of life, and
although they are susceptible to human intervention (what isn't?), likely
will continue long after we are gone (unless we screw the pooch even
worse).

Lines are being drawn and sides are being taken in this debate over
"natural" versus "engineered" remedies and while we can lament the
polarization and call it "anti-science" or "pro-science", chances are none
of that will change the direction or acceleration of the debate. I lean
more towards nature-driven processes as inherently safer, having the
benefit of billion-year trials, but cannot exclude the possibility they may
not be fast enough to preserve our species, to say nothing of our
civilization. We have the examples of post-Colombian encounter
reforestation, and post-Mongolian incursion reforestation, lowering
atmospheric PgC dramatically on multi-century time scales. Clearly those
are sequestration techniques having relative cost and risk advantages over
many others and I think even Naomi Klein and Vandana Shiva might buy in to
those strategies eventually. The limitation is the "multi-century" part.

Vandana Shiva seems to think that going back to organic farming practices
can entirely solve the climate crisis. She has pounded a stake in the
ground and tied herself to that. If she is to be countered, it will be on
the issues of urgency and degrees of effectiveness, IMHO.