Brian (cc list)  This to respond to your three inserts in my yesterday’s
response to you

BC1:    But that's not very good. Warming-induced feedback loops like methane
deposits are already very scary. I don't say CO2 levels are irreversible; my
point is about warming from all causes, and you need methods of cooling that
are much quicker than 50 years.
    [RWL1:   Brian’s “that” refers to my just previous statement (see below)
that we could drop to 350 ppm in 50 years.   Brian is NOT arguing for SRM here,
although it may seem so.  He is arguing for increased latent heat transfer - an
approach that seems questionable at best - given the strong warming potential
of increased atmospheric carbon.
     I do not know enough on either SRM or the latent-heat-transfer topic to
argue on either point.  I will say that I think there is good enough literature
around to say that getting back to 350 ppm in 50 years would be thought by most
analysts to be virtually miraculous.
    I am all for faster means of cooling in addition to  (not instead of)
removing the CO2.  But I cannot yet endorse either SRM or the still-unanalyzed
hypothetical cooling attributed to latent het transfer.

BC2:  I'm just looking for biochar to be presented as a well-engineered
component of the re-establishment of healthy carbon-rich soils worldwide. The
difference is in the message presented and the democratic potential of
empowering people to reverse climate change. If that empowering message doesn't
get received then there is the potential to use climate crisis to force
top-down solutions which tend to be heavy-handed. Bad biochar is possible in
such circumstances.
    [RWL2:   I agree with all.  Any new approach can be done badly.  It can
also be done well.  I see enough advantages to biochar users that the latter
seems more likely.  The argument it WILL be done badly is the only complaint
that BFW and Dr. Shiva seem to be making - that is not science.  I repeat my
claim that anyone finding a bad result from biochar deserves what they got.]

BC-last:  We agree on a lot of things about biochar. I just think you're
putting the cart before the horse.
>    [RWL7:   Sorry,  I am not understanding this.   What is the cart and what
> is the horse?
> Soil carbon is the cart. Biochar is one of the team of horses that can serve
> to build it up, and the others are good agricultural and forestry practices
> that bring countless ecological benefits. There needs to be a great deal of
> public discourse and education to show these potential benefits and to show
> how depletion of soil carbon had a great deal to do with CO2 levels being
> where they are. That's why we need to talk about soil carbon and not just
> biochar.
>
> By the way, these benefits are directly threatened by the kind of
> agricultural practices that support GMOs. Vandana Shiva has led a principled
> fight against native seeds being displaced by GM seeds. Robust biodiversity
> means a healthy web of microbes and other organisms in the soil. But if you
> have a vulnerable GM seed, those organisms and all their carbon-based food
> chain don't belong.
>
> To put it more simply, healthy soil carbon and GMOs do not go together. For
> all of people's legitimate worry about GMOs' health and economic side
> effects, the harm done to soil, and by extension to climate, gets too little
> attention.  I believe farmers need to be in the front lines of reversing
> climate change, so to me Vandana Shiva is heroic.  And advocating
> biodiversity in natural systems strikes me as very good science.
     [RWL3:
          a.  I also responded (see below) about my possibly asking for too
much speed on introducing biochar.  Brian did not address that, so that is not
the cart-horse issue.
         b.  Re para #1,  I admit to placing lots of attention on soil carbon -
and on this list especially - to the huge sequestration potential that is
there, without any conflict at all between the two objectives.   It seems to me
that I am not guilty of putting your soil carbon cart ahead of your biochar
horse.  They are to me one and the same.  If you are arguing that there are
other ways to increase soil carbon, that is a different issue.  Good luck in
getting them adopted as well.
        c. Re para #2  - I refuse to get into anything related to GMO -
especially on this list. In a different response to Oliver Morton yesterday,  I
said I see zero relation between biochar and GMO materials - and said I refuse
to talk about any purported relationship between them, as proposed by BFW (and
probably believed by Dr. Shiva).
        d.   Re para #3.  Glad to see you agree (I think) here on not
appropriate to couple soil carbon (including biochar as the main way likely to
increase soil carbon) and GMOs (so I don’t understand your raising it in Para
#2).  Re Dr.  Shiva,  I hope you recognize that she is thoroughly against
biochar (not natural enough?).  So I strongly disagree on her being heroic.  Re
your final sentence,  I presume we agree (and disagree with Dr. Shiva) that
adding biochar will improve (not reduce) biodiversity?  I repeat that I view
most of her negative views on biochar (largely copied from BFW) as being based
on her anti-science (pro “nature”) perspectives (as discussed by other list
members recently).  She is highly dangerous to the goal of CDR - mainly because
of her anti-business and anti-science biases.

Ron