Thanks Bruce,

It is interesting, and sure... should be studied, but underwater and
surface volcanic eruptions were happening before the industrial age.  But
the topic is about anthropogenic sulfure sources, specifically shipping,
which 'we' can do something about through regulations.

But if we want to take it globally and stress the need for more stringent
regulations, then, I like to point out that besides the large ocean impacts
of shipping's sulfur emissions, there are other human and environmental
health issues, there may be also a large effect on the hydrological cycle:
Tropical
Rainfall Trends and the Indirect Aerosol Effect.

Leon D. Rotstayn
http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/1520-0442(2002)015%3C2103%3ATRTATI%3E2.0.CO%3B2

Lets add to that shipping's soot emissions: Effects of soot-induced snow
albedo change on snowpack and hydrological cycle in western United States
based on Weather Research and Forecasting chemistry and regional climate
simulations. Yun Qian et al
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2008JD011039/abstract

So to recap:

*Shipping emissions:*

*1. *Can lead to* hight local ocean acidification *

*2. Affects human health*

*3. Effects on the surface environment (acid deposition, etc)*

*4. Effects on the hydrological cycle (drough - flood)*

*5. Effects on surface albedo (soot on snow)*

So, if someone would like to point out the 'beneficial' effects
of shipping emissions ie. solar radiation scattering, do so, but don't
discount any of the negative effects.

Best regards,

Oscar E.